On Fr, 2010-01-29 at 14:19 +0000, Jim Rorie wrote:
I've noticed two issues cropping up intermittently in syncing.
Typically, these are inserting a lot of duplicates and screwy entries.
Not convinced that they are SE issues. Probably more like
Evolution-SE-funambol interactions and data capture bugaboos.
The way to be sure of this is to keep logs around long enough so that
when you notice a problem, you (or us, if you share the relevant logs)
can look at what was sent to the server and what came back.
The "logdir" and "maxlogdirs" properties are relevant for this. Try
"syncevolution --print-sessions" - you might still have some relevant
a) Duplications on contact entries that are companies. i.e. They
have a first name, last name. Typically something like "
". My thinking is that you put the entry in once and it's
If you do that in the "full name" text field instead of the "full
dialog, then Evolution will split this into first name "ACME", middle
name "Water", last name "company" automatically. Not a big deal, but
is something to watch out for in the data exchanged with the server.
But, Evolution will try to map the "file as" to the
"full name" field.
I think that under certain conditions evolution will change the sort
order after this type of mapping and end up with "Water company, ACME"
which may look like a new record. Thus a duplicate is born. Just a
Sounds plausible, however, for this will typically only become a problem
when the server does item matching, for example during a slow sync.
I tried to reproduce the problem by sending the "ACME Water company"
example and forcing a slow sync, but it didn't duplicate. Some
additional properties might be relevant. You could give it a try
- make sure client and server are in sync
- force a slow sync: syncevolution --sync slow funambol
- watch the "synccompare" output to find unwanted changes
- restore previous content: syncevolution --restore ... +
If you are concerned about your data, do it with a test account on the
server and a second local address book.
b) Weird Suffix handling. I have a lot of Jr./Sr. in my contact.
"Joe blow, Jr." I've noticed that if I enter these records properly in
evolution using the suffix field box, after a bit of churning, I end up
with "Jr. Joe Blow". I'm thinking that the funambol server might be the
culprit in this one as it doesn't handle suffixes that I know of.
The SyncML server itself preserves the prefix. Perhaps the web UI or
some other client breaks your data.
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly
The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although
I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way
represent Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak
on behalf of Intel on this matter.