Thank you very much for the effort.
I did not do exactly what you suggested, mainly because I have to setup the
environment to test it.
I did however added the patches to the debian tree and rebuild the packages.
The build process reported correctly applying patch in the beginning and
unapplying patch at the end of the build process (if you are somehow
familiar with the debian build process it would tell you that it builds
with the patch applied).
After installing the packages it did not change anything. There was still
the error with the unknown response.
I rebuild against openobex-1.5 (openobex1) and it worked properly.
I will go now for the harder way and will build a test environment where I
can follow the steps you provided, so that I can get some useful debug.
I will report back as soon as I have it.