On 3/21/19 4:33 PM, Brendan Higgins wrote:
On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 3:27 PM Logan Gunthorpe
> On 2019-03-21 4:07 p.m., Brendan Higgins wrote:
>> A couple of points, as for needing CONFIG_PCI; my plan to deal with
>> that type of thing has been that we would add support for a KUnit/UML
>> version that is just for KUnit. It would mock out the necessary bits
>> to provide a fake hardware implementation for anything that might
>> depend on it. I wrote a prototype for mocking/faking MMIO that I
>> presented to the list here; it is not part of the current patchset
>> because we decided it would be best to focus on getting an MVP in, but
>> I plan on bringing it back up at some point. Anyway, what do you
>> generally think of this approach?
> Yes, I was wondering if that might be possible. I think that's a great
> approach but it will unfortunately take a lot of work before larger
> swaths of the kernel are testable in Kunit with UML. Having more common
> mocked infrastructure will be great by-product of it though.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that the best way to do something often takes
so much longer.
>> Awesome, I looked at the code you posted and it doesn't look like you
>> have had too many troubles. One thing that stood out to me, why did
>> you need to put it in the kunit/ dir?
> Yeah, writing the code was super easy. Only after, did I realized I
> couldn't get it to easily build.
Yeah, we really need to fix that; unfortunately, broadly addressing
that problem is really hard and will most likely take a long time.
> Putting it in the kunit directory was necessary because nothing in the
> NTB tree builds unless CONFIG_NTB is set (see drivers/Makefile) and
> CONFIG_NTB depends on CONFIG_PCI. I didn't experiment to see how hard it
> would be to set CONFIG_NTB without CONFIG_PCI; I assumed it would be tricky.
>> I am looking forward to see what you think!
> Generally, I'm impressed and want to see this work in upstream as soon
> as possible so I can start to make use of it!
Great to hear! I was trying to get the next revision out this week,
but addressing some of the comments is taking a little longer than
expected. I should have something together fairly soon though
(hopefully next week). Good news is that next revision will be
non-RFC; most of the feedback has settled down and I think we are
ready to start figuring out how to merge it. Fingers crossed :-)
I'll be out of the office next week and will not be able to review.
Please hold off on any devicetree related files until after I review.