We are pleased to announce an update of Intel GVT-g for KVM.
Intel GVT-g for KVM (a.k.a. KVMGT) is a full GPU virtualization solution with mediated
pass-through, starting from 5th generation Intel Core(TM) processors with Intel processor
graphics. A virtual GPU instance is maintained for each VM, with part of performance
critical resources directly assigned. The capability of running native graphics driver
inside a VM, without hypervisor intervention in performance critical paths, achieves a
good balance among performance, feature, and sharing capability.
- Kernel: https://github.com/01org/gvt-linux
- Qemu: https://github.com/01org/igvtg-qemu
- Server platforms: Intel(r) Xeon(r) E3_v4, E3_v5 and E3_v6 with Intel Graphics
- Client platforms: Intel(r) Core(tm) 5th generation (code name: Broadwell), 6th
generation (code name: Skylake), 7th generation (code name: Kabylake) and 7th SoC
generation (code name: Broxton), the Broxton is new supported platform
Guest Operation System Validated:
- Windows7 32-bit, Window7 64-bit, Windows8.1 64-bit, Windows10 64-bit
- Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit
Major Changes since Q1'2018 Release:
- This update is based on kernel version 4.17 and Qemu version 2.12.
- Add the Broxton platform preliminary support for KVMGT.
- Improve stability of dma-buf feature with some GPU reset issues be fixed.
- More bug fixing and code refinement, please refer to git log.
Limitation or known issues:
- Due to graphics hardware resource limitation, the maximum number of Windows VM is 7.
- The pre-defined type 1, 2 or 4 of vGPU must be created for VM to install Windows 7
32-bit. vGPU type 8 is not allocated to have enough graphics resource to support Windows 7
- Some 3rd party applications/tools like GPU_Z, Passmark 9.0 running in Windows VM may
meet BSOD error. The workaround is to add "kvm.ignore_msrs=1" in host
kernel's command line to avoid this.
- There are still instability issues about Guest VM stability while the IOMMU feature
is enabled on a few Broadwell and Kabylake machines. The workaround is to turn off IOMMU
on Intel graphics device by adding "intel_iommu=igfx_off" in Host kernel's
- For Broxton, only Linux guest is currently supported, and the Linux guest kernel must
be the same as the host kernel.
- Setup guide:
- New upstream architecture design introduction:
- Please subscribe to join the mailing list if you want to learn more about GVT-g
- Please subscribe to join the mailing list if you want to contribute/review latest
GVT-g upstream patches:
- Official GVT-g portal:
- More information about background, architecture and others about Intel GVT-g, can be
The KVMGT project should be considered a work in progress. As such it is not a complete
product nor should it be considered one. Extra care should be taken when testing and
configuring a system to use the KVMGT project.
Tel: +86-21-6116 5390
MP: +86-1356 4367 024
GVT-g mailing list